I'm Here!!!

Posted by DMiller | 11:38 PM | , ,

I arrived to Israel on Wednesday Oct. 10th - sorry if I haven't spoken with any of you but I've just been so busy getting things in order.


I spent Wednesday mainly unpacking, sleeping and getting lost in Givat Shmuel. It's amazing, no matter how small the town I still can't seem to figure it out.

The food situation is a bit crazy since its a shmita year. I learned all about the halachot/politics of otzar beit din, badatz, heter mechira... I still have not made up my mind on what to do. Glatt meat will also be an issue... Overall, the first day was pretty low key.

Thursday I woke up at 6 AM which was amazing - I've never been a morning person but I'm considering becoming one. I went to minyan, where I went unnoticed (or at least no one said hello...), which I took as a compliment that I don't look like that much like a tourist.

I went rollerblading through town to learn the area better which was fun. Not too many hills which is great for convenience but terrible for the fun factor. No 190th/Overlook hill anymore. My electric scooter actually would have served me decently here, but it's usually more convenience to cut through grassy areas than go on the streets.

I opened a bank account which took 2 hours (!) but I did it all in Hebrew so I was very proud after. The woman even presumed that I would want all my statements to be sent to me in Hebrew - to which I insisted I really need them to be in English as I have no idea what you have been saying for the last two hours and I have just been nodding yes to everything. (I wish Morah Dafna could see me now...) I was most probably taken for a ride as I will not be getting interest and will actually be paying the bank to use my money, but supposedly this is how it is done in Israel. This is really very depressing and I think says a lot about the state of the economy.

I then went to J'lem which takes an hour :( where I purchased a cell phone finally. Once again I had to make do entirely in Hebrew. Here I felt I was once again taken advantage of as I spent over 600 shekel ($150 - I converted for less than 4:1 yesterday!) for a phone they used in the stone age. Once again, my friends ensured me that this is the way it is done in Israel. The whole thing is a bit ridiculous - I also needed a bank account before being able to buy a cell phone and I couldn't even get international calling as I need an Israeli credit card for that. Crazy crazy country.

I then went to yeshiva and was glad to see a bunch of people I knew. I love that no matter how many years out there are always people still there. It was fun visiting rabbanim as well. Max was in America though - so I will have to catch up with him at a later date.

For shabbos I will be with my cousins (Jay and Daniel) in J'lem who are here studying for the year. Should be excellent.

Few notes:

(Some) of the food here is incredible. I have always heard Burgers bar was good but I was always skeptical - it's just a hamburger... But when I had it in the tachanat hamercazi in J'lem I was blown away - WOW! I can't explain it. I don't know what they feed those cows but boy are they tasty. It may have had to do with the sauces they put on it. I noticed the 3 people ahead of me on line all got chimichuri (?) on their burgers so I followed though. America must get this chimichuri and manufacture it in mass quantities. (I will send a sample via FedEx to whomever would like to taste if you cover charges.)

I also tried to order an ice coffee today from Aroma and ordered something on the menu in Hebrew that I thought meant Iced Coffee but most definitely was not. It was really excellent though.

People have told me the cost of living in Israel is cheaper but I have yet to see this... For some prices on things I have bought...
28 NIS deoderant
9 NIS 4 bars of soap
600 NIS cell phone
100 NIS + per month for phone plan
20 NIS shampoo
16 NIS Iced Coffee (or whatever it was...)

Rent is cheaper but the rooms are not quite American living standards (even Wash. Heights). It feels like Yeshiva.

Well that is enough from me today - there are obviously hundreds of stories and insights from the last few days that I will hopefully share with y'all in the future, but I don't feel like typing them now.

Have a good shabbos!