My Favorite Article (written by me)

Posted by DMiller | 10:35 AM

Someone recently reminded me about this article that I wrote about Aliyah for the Frisch student newspaper:

"Zionism is a response which grew
from emancipation. Yehuda Alkalai and
Rabbi Kalischer hoped Israel would be a
home to provide Jews with a national identity.
Once again, in our emancipation we
must look towards the possibility of making
Aliyah. Where American Jewry has
failed in the past, we, the youth, must succeed.

Our parents view Aliyah as an ideal,
one unattainable because of roots too
deeply entrenched in American soil. We,
the seeds, the future of the Jewish people,
must begin to plant ourselves in Israel. We
must not look at Israel as an ideal, but
rather as a goal. Dr. Chaim Waxman recently
said at a Mizrachi convention that a Jew in
America cannot claim to be a Zionist in
consideration of the ease and convenience
of moving to Israel nowadays."



http://members.aol.com/fasd/Struggle6.pdf (page 7)


I think it's probably one of the best things I've ever written for public consumption, although some of my thoughts may have changed since then.

Edit: Note: On the same page an article by M. Herskovitz, now A. Herskovitz (who made Aliyah). It is definitely funnier than my article.