Refining Thoughts

Posted by DMiller | 1:59 PM

The last post I had was the most read post since the start of this blog. I wrote that post in less than 5 minutes thinking it would not be read by the world, but since it has been, I figure I should refine my comments.

On second thought, it would really be a waste of finger movements writing this, because so much has already been written on the topic that I doubt I have anything else worthwhile to add. In addition, I think we all know how this story ends. The growth rate of the chasidic community is very high, and yet the size will not grow. The movement will continue to lose members to either modern orthodoxy and R"L to secularism. The rabbis are fighting a losing battle trying to keep their members living in the 1600's. Let's hope authentic judaism, modern orthodoxy, can succesfully attract those that want to leave the Chasidic community.

Just for note: I have heard shiurim given by several of the rabbis that signed the ban. When I heard their shiurim, I thought they were interesting, and I respected their scholarship in Torah. But every time they sign one of these bans they lose more and more of that respect. I think that is only natural.

As usual I think Gil Student has excellent things to say on the ban. Although I don't completely agree, it is definitely worth a read: http://hirhurim.blogspot.com/2008/03/on-concert-bans-and-rabbinic.html