Day 12: Ton Sai / Railey Beach

Posted by DMiller | 12:30 AM |

Railey Beach is known as a rock climbing heaven with over 700 crags. Even though I was still sore from the other day and our trek through the rocks I decided that I shouldn't give up the chance to climb in Railey so this morning I climbed over to Railey West and went rock climbing again.

It was once again terrific, with amazing scenery. I once again failed to complete a 6b but managed to get further than I had in Chiang Mai. I also managed to complete to 6a crags. This time it was 3 of us, a guy from Ireland on a 6 month trip and a guy from Canada on a one month trip. They were really nice and we had a great time.

In the afternoon I had to get back to Ton Sai for lunch (energy bars and cookies) but high tide was up again so I decided to swim from Railey West to Ton Sai which took about 45 minutes. (I also was carrying a water bottle which I threw ahead of me every 5 feet, my glasses, hat, shirt and sandals.) It was very fun.

In the afternoon we went to Phranang Beach which is essentially Railey South and went swimming in the gorgeous emerald clear green water. It was extremely relaxing and refreshing.

Before this trip if someone asked me what the most beautiful natural place I have ever seen I would definitely have said either Bryce Canyon or the Grand Canyon, but now Railey Beach is definitely a contender.

At night I sat down by the beach, under the bright stars (with Mars in clear view), and read some fantasy stories from Hermann Hesse. My Nirvana.