Day 7: Chiang Mai

Posted by DMiller | 11:50 PM |


Last night we took it easy and went to the one day market (there are three big markets: Night Bazaar, One Day, and Sunday market.)

We bought some things, nothing to exciting though - I got a T-shirt and a hat. We figure we'll get more beachy clothing in the south.

The one day market is also ridiculously long so we decided to get a massage for our barking feet. It felt like that scene from Seinfeld when the Korean ladies make fun of us. They just kept laughing at us and we didn't understand what about. It was pretty humurous.

We were signed up for a three day jeeping trip that was supposed to leave on Sunday morning but we decided after speaking with people who went on the trip to forego it. Instead we are planning two day trips and one day of Chiang Mai relaxing.

Today was the Chiang Mai relaxing. I rented a scooter for 250 baht (including insurance) but unfourtanetly my friend can't ride a bicycle nor a scooter. The scooter is amazing and makes me want to get a scooter more and more in Israel.

I drove to the Chiang Mai zoo where I met up with Aaron who take a Songtauw (a small mini bus). We saw the Great Pandas of which there are only ~160 in captivity and under 2,000 left in the world. We had to pay another 100 baht just to see them, but it was well worth it. They were adorable.

The rational behind going to yet another zoo was that a) I love animals, b) there was a famous Panda, c) it's beautiful scenary without having to travel 3 hours to get to a jungled. In the end it was likely one of the most non-touristy things we did as it was mainly populated by locals . We also saw a seal show.

The crazy part about the zoo was that at most stations they also sold meat of the animals so that you can taste them. Pretty crazy stuff.

The entire time at the zoo though I was dying to get back onto my scooter though and I will likely use the rest of the day to get lost in Chiang Mai. I just hope I can find my way back.

For one humorous anecdote:
When we were riding the tram at the zoo I mentioned to my friend surprisingly that there are some pretty attractive thai people. My friend answered "that's a pretty strange way to describe an animal." I was pretty shocked that he would describe Thai people as animals. In the end he thought I was talking about TIGERS.

Another great part is that EVERYWHERE we go my friend is asked if he's pregnant because he's a little overweight. It's not just funny that Thai people all are so rude to make fat jokes, but that they all use the pregnant line. This has literally happened around 7 times so far. It's probibly the best part of the whole trip so far. I find it hysterical.