Day 9: Last Day at Chiang Mai

Posted by DMiller | 2:15 AM |

Today me and my friend split up: I went rock climbing and he went white water rafting. I was looking for something that was outdoors and more active making rock climbing a natural choice.

It was terrific. It was just me and two Thai tour guys. (I used The Peak tour guide service if you are going to Thailand - they are first class). The first three climbs I had (5b, 5c rating and each about 15-20 meters) I found fairly easy. I then convinced them to let me climb a 6b+ which was a total disaster and embarrassingly I couldn't finish it :( It was really great trying though and definitely tested my limits. Also note, it took the guide a really long time to climb it himself.

We then ate lunch which was free but I brought along tuna and crackers (which is what we have been doing for several days and now we are finally out of). I did take a look at the menu and noticed that everything was 30 baht (~3 shekel)! That included a soup, a meat dish and a side.

After lunch we went out to another crag for a 6a+, 35m climb near the top of the mountain. The rocks were limestone and different parts had different colors: yellow, red, black, and brown. Most of the mountain was a cove for owls and bees - I was a bit scared every time I saw several bees fly out of one of the holes as when your climbing you can't see what's in the next hole you put your hand in.

I had a lot of difficulty near the the beginning part and tried a million times. I was determined I could do it. After several tries, scraped knees, torn skin, and bruised fingers I decided maybe I could pass the hard part if I just pull the belaying rope rather than actually climb the rocks. The guide said if I can do it he'll be OK with it.

It was definitely harder to pull myself up with the rope than actually climbing but I was having a very difficult time finding proper food placement. Thank God I was able to pull myself up using the belaying rope for about a foot. (Yes, I am aware this is cheating...)

After that I was nearly completely spent but managed to make it to the top with a bunch of breaks. The view at the top was spectacular, overlooking numerous types of trees and dozens of green mountains and light brown lakes. Clearly the sense of accomplishment was also excellent. I had the guide hold me up there for about 5 minutes just to take in the moment. It was truly magnificent.

Now I'm waiting for my friend to get back from white water rafting.

I really need some time to relax from the rock climbing. Thankfully we are heading out to Krabi Beach tomorrow!