The Dentist (part I)

Posted by DMiller | 12:16 PM |

Last night was Yom Hazikaron, which means all stores must legally close by 7 o'clock. This literally means all stores: No grocery, no restaurants, nothing. I was only informed of this at 6:50 so I quickly ran to the grocery store to buy food for dinner but they wouldn't let me in because they were, obviously, closing. I then ran to the next closest store, the falafel store, and was the last customer they allowed to purchase anything. There were over a dozen other people that ran in after me, but by that time the police were going up and down the block with their megaphone and sirens yelling at stores for staying open past 7. I felt like I was in some dictatorship with the police enforcing curfew.

In the end I was Baruch Hashem able to get my falafel and it was heavenly, just a perfecet mix of salad, chumus and french fries. And then I took a bite into a delicious falafel ball and everything went down hill from there.

My back right molar, which already has a large filling in it, started to hurt. The best description of this pain would be like someone took a large needle and was willy nilly inserting it into my nerve. It was like having a root canal with no novacaine. Needless to say, after I finished the falafel ball (chewing on the opposite side of my mouth) I decided to stop eating, finish up my work and head home. I went home, posted a request for an english speaking dentist in Tel Aviv on Janglo, drugged myself and went to sleep.

The next day the pain was still there, albeit much less but enough to have me worried, but I had no responses from Janglo. I then did a billion searches and still couldn't find any English speaking dentists in Tel Aviv. I then called random English speaking dentists in Jerusalem that I found on the internet, pretended to not know they only work in J'lem and then asked if they could recommend anyone in Tel Aviv. NONE of them knew of anyone either! (Although some were helpful and said they would check with their colleagues and let me know).

In the end I went with a random 24/7 dentist in Tel Aviv that said they speak English... (to be continued)