Day 14: Patong Beach - Phuket

Posted by DMiller | 7:35 AM |

We spent Shabbat in Patong Beach which is very developed and a big difference than Railey.

The Chabad rabbi there, who I call Rav Aharon, is extremely dynamic. He takes care of the entire Chabad house himself which is no small feat. All the other Chabad's we were at had at least 3 rabbi's. There were about 300 people for Friday night dinner and we even stayed for the oneg which was great. Everyone in the room got up and told a story. I probibly spoke more hebrew that night than anytime while I was in Israel. I even gave my story in Hebrew which I was very proud of - and people laughed and clapped which made me feel good :)

The entire shabbat was very nice and we met a lot of interesting and friendly people. We were two of three Americans that Shabbat and only two others were from an English speaking country.

The plan tomorrow is to go Island hopping by speed boat around the Islands near Phuket. Should be exciting.