Day 17: Ko Phi Phi

Posted by DMiller | 10:59 PM |


This morning I went wake boarding on the ocean as I had hoped I would be able. It is definitely harder than cable wake boarding but a bit more fun. You actually get wakes when following a boat which makes it great for jumping and also you can tell the driver to go faster or slower. I was really not great on the ocean but my wipe outs were amazing. Thank God my friend captured some of them on video. (He also got to drive the boat a little.)


I was really spent after wake boarding (mainly from my crazy wipe outs), but we decided to go snorkeling anyways. First we stopped by another monkey island where we got to feed monkeys hand to hand (I never tire of that), and then we went cliff jumping. I made two jumps one between 10-12 meters and the second between 12-15 meters (40-50 feet). The second one was pretty scary but it was well worth it. It really feels like you have a few seconds of free fall.
We then went snorkeling where we saw a lot of colorful and bizarre looking fish - and sharks. Yes, sharks. I saw about 5 or 6 of them, each about 4 to 5 feet. Weirdly enough I was more scared of some of the eels we saw than the sharks. We had an underwater camera so hopefully some of pictures I took come out decently.
We then went to Maya Bay which is where the movie The Beach was filmed. I had not seen the movie or even heard of the movie before Thailand. Maya Bay was beautiful but not much different than the rest of Ko Phi Phi.
Tonight one of the bars showed The Beach which I imagine they do at least once a week. It was a decent movie, but definitely not IMDB top 250 material. The best part of it is that the movie is about how Maya Bay is paradise. It most definitely is.