Day 18: Ko Phi Phi to Ko Samui

Posted by DMiller | 11:14 PM |

This morning I woke up and was literally wrecked. My body is really not used to this level of physical excersion. I was planning on taking a leading course in rock climbing so that in the future I can climb anywhere for free but I was clearly in no shape to climb. (My sunburns only magnified the pain.)

Instead, we decided to spend the day at the glorious beach of Ko Phi Phi (shown in yesterdays picture - and yes, it really looks like that). I hadn't planned to go swimming but when high tide came in and I felt the warm clear water I had to go. It was crazy relazing and refreshing. You could easily see fish just swimming about.

I spent about 20 minutes closing my eyes and reopening them as each time I reopened them I was struck by the same awe as when I first saw it. It looks exactly like a perfect postcard - it was truly awesome.

At about 3 PM we started our long journey to Ko Samui. This involved some walking, two boats, two sungthaw's, and a minivan. We slept on the boat (a first for me). This was no cruise ship. Think more along the lines of Cuban refugees. It was pretty ridiculous and there were about 8 young kids who decided they would have a binge party with drinking games which kept everyone awake.

Thankfully I remembered my ear plugs and slept soundly.

We arrived at Ko Samui, watched sunrise on the beach, and rented an apartment for 600 baht a night.

It feels like were in the last stretch of the Thailand trip. It is quite sad :(